Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mom, look what I can do!!

Well today after 31 years, I learned how to ride a bike! Amazing that it's taken this long. When I was small, I did have a bike but my Mom wouldn't let me ride it out on the street so I had to ride it in our grassy, hilly yard which is impossible to learn on. Therefore, I never learned. I tried again in Grade 12 but couldn't quite figure it out and I was very nervous. I decided at the beginning of the summer that my goal for this summer was going to be to learn to ride a bike. And I did it! Today at lunch time a girl I work with brought me out on the parking lot of the university and taught me how to ride her bike. Yes, I was wearing a helmet! After not too long, I could go on my own but I'm still having trouble making turns. I'll keep working on that though. I just wanted to share this great news!

6 comments:

Amber said...

Congrats! I'm so proud of you. I've heard that it's very difficult to learn to ride a bycicle when you're an adult. The hardest part of learning to ride a bike is keeping your balance. If you can do that, the rest will come quickly.
Yay! Next summer you'll be able to go on bike rides with your husband and your child :0)

Jenny said...

As much as you like to run and workout, this will eventually be just another avenue of fitness. You will be hooked once you get the hang of it. Congratulations! It's never too late to learn something new. :)

Rachel said...

I learned when I was 12 or 13, and there are still times I don't feel incredibly steady on my bike, but I really do love riding it. I think once you feel more comfortable you'll be a riding machine :) It was a whole new thing to learn once we put a bike seat on the back for Eze, but now I'm comfortable with that too. Way to go!!

Allison Family said...

Congrats! You are never too old to learn something new! Good for you! Most kids love to ride bikes and you'll be able to join in the fun with your little one someday soon! :)

Julie said...

Congrats! Now you make me feel guilty as a mom because my kids don't know how to ride a bike and we haven't taken the time to show them. Of course we would have to get some bikes first. Keep up the good work of biking and learning new things.

emilie said...

Good for you, Renee! My bike was my main mode of transport in college, but now I only use it to take E to the park. I need to use it more --thanks for the inspiration.